I’m tweaking some three year old Ecclesiastes sermons. What follows is an illustration that needs to be cut from its current position, but yet seems worthy of a home somewhere. So where to put it? The void is perfect.
Searching for satisfaction under the sun is like being thirsty and:
- picking up an empty glass and trying to drink from it.
- picking up a glass full of water and then realizing it was only a dream.
- paying a fortune for a glass full of water then taking a drink only to realize that it’s salt water.
- picking up a glass full of water when the glass shatters in your hand.
- picking up a glass full of water when someone runs by and knocks it right out of your hand.
- picking up a glass full of water, drinking the cool, clear, clean, crisp refreshing water, then immediately having a fatal heart attack.