Six Lessons in Prayer
Strauch addresses the (pastoral) idol of hyper-busyness, and how that challenges the apostolic priorities in Acts 6:4: “We will devote ourselves to prayer and the ministry of the word.”
From Ephesians 6:18-19, Strauch admonishes pastors to:
- Always be creative in your praying: “all prayer and supplication.” Avoid the rut.
- Always be praying in a spirit of prayer: “praying at all times.” Emphasis on the frequency, thanking always, confessing regularly, seeking always.
- Always be praying in the power of the Spirit: “praying … in the Spirit.”
- Always be watching and praying. Emphasis on effort and perseverance: “keep alert with all perseverance.”
- Always be praying for others: “making supplication for all the saints.” See also 1 Samuel 12:23
- Always be praying for missionaries and the gospel: “to proclaim the mystery of the gospel.”